Friday, January 28, 2011

Week 2

After having worked in the library for about 2 weeks I have learned much. Ms. Preston is the only librarian and has many responsibilities in this position. In fact, she is co-authoring a book describing the operations of running a library solo. The museum and museum collection  have grown over the past two decades, and as a support to this institution, the collection and resources available in the library have also grown. This rapid growth has exceeded the available space within the library, and one of the projects Ms. Preston is working on is developing more shelving space. The image below illustrates this problem.
    The library houses several archives. The archive that I am working on ( museum archive) is partially complete. The image on the bottom shows the portion of the archive that has been done, and the image on the top provides a visual of the portion I am working on.

As stated in the last post I have begun by sorting material. The items I have sorted so far are from previous exhibitions. I have been dividing them alphabetically, by exhibition title. The items pictured below were all stored randomly in vertical files. I have separated these items based on each exhibition, and have labeled them with a post-it.   After I have completely sorted these resources, I will be scanning them and creating a digital record of each item.

No comments:

Post a Comment